A metropolitan planning organization (MPO) is a federally mandated and funded policy-making organization that oversees transportation planning for an urbanized area. As the MPO for the Cape Girardeau – Jackson urbanized area, the Southeast Metropolitan Planning Organization (SEMPO) is responsible for meeting the federal metropolitan planning regulations for the specified geographic area that includes the City of Cape Girardeau, the City of Jackson, and portions of Cape Girardeau County and Scott County, Missouri, as well as portions of the Village of East Cape Girardeau and Alexander County, Illinois.
This area is faced with the challenge of expanding and maintaining a number of transportation systems to meet the needs of a growing region, including highways, railways, ports, airports, transit, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Addressing this challenge is SEMPO’s top priority. Learn more about SEMPO in the Unified Planning Work Program.
SEMPO currently has a job opening for a Transportation and Land Use Planner.
- Census Data
- City of Cape Girardeau
- City of Jackson
- Cape Girardeau County
- Scott County
- Southeast Missouri Regional Planning and Economic Development Commission
- Bootheel Regional Planning and Economic Development Commission
- Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority
- Southeast Missouri State University Transit
- Southeast Missouri Transportation Service
- BART Shuttle
- SEMO Alliance for Disability Independence (SADI)
- Cape Girardeau Regional Airport
- Southeast Missouri Regional Port Authority
- Velo Girardeau
- Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce
- Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET
- Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)
- Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
Photo © Ken Steinhoff – All Rights Reserved