Board Minutes 02/21/2018

Download .pdf version

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MEETING MINUTES

February 21, 2018

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau, MO

Board Voting Members Present:

Mr. Dwain Hahs, City of Jackson

Mr. Barry Horst, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Development Commission (SEMO RPC)

Ms. Kathy Mangels, Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO University)

Mr. Scott Meyer, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. Mark Phillips, Cape Special Road District

Mr. Harry Rediger, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. Jim Roach, City of Jackson

Board Non-Voting Members Present:

Mr. Tom Mogelnicki, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Mr. Mark Shelton, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Members Present:       

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Development Commission (SEMO RPC)

Mr. Curtis Jones, Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. John Mehner, Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET

Mr. Brian Okenfuss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) (via teleconference)

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Hahs called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.

Introductions

The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the February 21, 2018 Board of Directors Meeting was unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Rediger and seconded by Mr. Meyer.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the December 20, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Phillips and seconded by Mr. Meyer.

Communications from the Chairman

There were no communications from the Chairman.

New/Unfinished Business

  • FY 2019 Unified Planning Work Program – Motion to set a public hearing for May 16, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. at Osage Centre

Ms. Green stated that staff has started drafting the FY 2019 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP).  A draft will be provided at the next Board meeting.  As required by SEMPO’s Public Participation Plan, a public hearing must be held on the UPWP before the TPC makes a recommendation of adoption to the Board.  A motion was made by Mr. Roach and seconded by Mr. Rediger to set a public hearing on the FY 2019 UPWP for the May 16, 2018 Board of Directors meeting, which passed unanimously.

 TIP Tool Software and Maintenance RFP – Discussion

Ms. Green presented a Request for Proposals (RFP) for an online service for managing the TIP.  She explained that the proposals are to include software, training, and maintenance.  The RFP is based on one that was issued by Ozarks Transportation Organization (OTO).  The Technology Subcommittee will review the proposals and, if necessary, generate a short list of consultants to be interviewed.  Each selected consultant will then give a presentation and participate in an interview with the TPC.  The TPC will then provide feedback to the Technology Subcommittee for use in scoring the consultants.  The consultant with the highest score will be asked to enter into negotiations for a contract.  The contract will be between the consultant and the City of Cape Girardeau, and all financial transactions will be conducted by the City of behalf of SEMPO.  Due to the length of the procurement process, it is expected that the selected consultant will not begin work until FY 2019.  There being no comments, Ms. Green stated that the RFP will be issued in the next week.

  • Public Transit – Human Services Transportation Coordination Plan Discussion

Mr. Christian presented a draft of the SEMPO Public Transit – Human Services Transportation Coordination Plan.  He stated that two public meetings were held late November/early December to obtain input regarding public transit needs.  A meeting for transit providers was held on January 18th at 2:00 p.m. at the SEMO RPC Office.  There were no citizens in attendance at the public meetings, however, an online survey form was created, and 33 surveys have been completed to date.  The draft will be completed after the survey period closes and the surveys have been reviewed.

Member Reports

Mr. Rediger reported that Cape Girardeau’s City Engineer, Casey Brunke, and Assistant Public Works Director, Stan Polivick, along with engineering consultant firm Horner & Shifrin, were in attendance to receive an honor award for the South Sprigg Street Bridge Over Active Sinkholes Project at the Missouri Chapter of the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) Engineering Excellence Awards Banquet.  He also gave updates on several City projects.  The Lexington Avenue – Sherwood Drive to West Cape Rock Drive Project is proceeding and is scheduled be completed in 2018.  The Broadway LED Street Light Conversion Project is out for bid.  The 2017 Street Light LED Conversion Project was recently completed.  The 2018 Neighborhood Street Repair Project has been awarded to Lappe Cement Finishing.  The Sloan Creek Bridge Superstructure and Slope Stabilization Project has been awarded to St. Louis Bridge Construction Company.  He added that while the bridge is closed, the Main Street bridge will be re-opened for local detour traffic.

Mr. Meyer reported that the pavement replacement along Southern Expressway should be completed next week.  He also mentioned that a petition for a new Community Improvement District (CID) has been filed for a redevelopment project involving Independence Centre on Independence Street, north of Town Plaza.

Mr. Hahs reported that Lochmueller Group recently presented the Jackson City Wide Transportation Plan to the City’s Board of Alderman.  The plan includes an emphasis on Main Street, where the City has experienced the largest increase in traffic.  The proposed projects will reduce traffic congestion on Jackson Boulevard.  Also, Koehler Engineering has begun preliminary design plans for the realignment of South Old Orchard Road near the former Class Act Gymnastics facility.  Koehler has also been hired to design the traffic signal at East Main Street and Oak Hill Road.  The City’s annual concrete repair and asphalt overlay projects will be issued for bid next month.

Mr. Phillips reported that Cape Special Road District recently awarded a seven-mile asphalt overlay project to Pace Construction Company.

Ms. Mangels reported that the SEMO University Board of Regents will be discussing a parking plan in September.

Mr. Horst introduced himself as the new Executive Director of the SEMO RPC.

Mr. Christian reported that MoDOT and ONE DOT are currently reviewing Amendment No. 6 to the FY 2016-2019 Transportation Improvement Program.  He explained that the amendment consists of two new projects.  The first project is a box culvert extension on Rte. W approximately ½ mile south of Rte. Y.  The second project is the grading and construction of Harbor Lead Track 2 as part of the SEMO Port’s Loop Tracks Terminal Project, which is being funded by the Delta Regional Authority.  The TPC will release the amendment for public comment at its next meeting.

Mr. Rediger reported that SkyWest Airlines is expanding its marketing program for its service to and from Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.  Airport management have been in discussions with the City Council regarding the airport’s numerous capital needs, which includes additional hangars and upgrades to existing hangars and the terminal.

Mr. Okenfuss reported that MoDOT has completed scoping the I-55/US-61 interchange at Center Junction and is working on a preliminary design for a diverging diamond interchange that would allow MoDOT to use shorter bridges and improve traffic flow and safety.  Jason Williams, the project manager, has met with engineering staff from the cities of Cape Girardeau and Jackson to obtain feedback on the design.  The project is scheduled for letting in the summer of 2019.  Mr. Williams will be giving a presentation on the project at the Board’s next meeting in March.  It was decided that Mr. Williams will not give a separate presentation to the TPC, so all TPC members were encouraged to attend the Board meeting.

Mr. Okenfuss also reported that the 21st Century Missouri Transportation System Task Force has issued its report.  He explained that the report consists of three sections.  The first section discusses the need for an immediate-impact investment, which is proposed to be in the form of a 10-cent increase in the state’s gas tax and a 12-cent increase in the diesel tax.  These increases are estimated to generate $34 million annually.  The second section discusses the need for sustainable long-term funding.  This funding could come from new fees and fee increases, especially for electric vehicles, which use the state highway system but do not contribute to the motor fuel tax revenue.  The third section discusses efficient project delivery, improved highway safety, and innovation.  Recommended safety measures include passing laws to prohibit distracted driving, to require the use of seat belts, and to require graduated driver’s license training requirements for young drivers.  It is hoped that the report will lead to action by the Missouri General Assembly to implement the recommendations.

Mr. Shelton thanked Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, Ms. Green, and Mr. Christian for attending MoDOT’s 2018 Statewide Planning Partner Meeting.  He reported that Senator Corlew presented the 21st Century Missouri Transportation System Task Force report at the meeting.

Mr. Jones reported that IDOT is seeking project proposals for a new competitive grant program that aims to improve the mobility of freight at the local level.  Applications are due April 6th for up to $225 million in National Highway Freight Program funds, to be distributed through 2022.  He also reported that the National Highway Institute is offering Transportation Performance Management courses.  Additionally, IDOT is in the process of restructuring the PL funds carryover policy.

Staff Report

Ms. Green reported that she and Mr. Shrimplin participated in a conference call with Lochmueller Group and the Study Oversight Team last week to review the comments received on the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.  Lochmueller is now addressing the comments and making revisions to the plan.

Ms. Green reported that she and Mr. Shrimplin met with representatives of the Cape Girardeau Safe Communities Program to learn more about upcoming events and to discuss partnership opportunities.

Other Business and Communications

There was no other business or communications.

Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 2:42 p.m.