TPC Minutes 04/05/2017

Download .pdf version

TECHNICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

April 5, 2017

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau

Technical Planning Committee Voting Members Present:  

Mr. David Blalock, Bootheel Regional Planning & Economic Development

Commission (Bootheel RPC)

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Ms. Mandi Brink, Southeast Missouri Regional Port Authority (SEMO Port)

Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Commission

(SEMO RPC)

Ms. Beth Glaus, Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO University)

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Bruce Loy, Cape Girardeau Regional Airport

Mr. Alex McElroy, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. John Mehner, Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET

Mr. Larry Payne, Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee

Ms. Kelley Watson, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Technical Planning Committee Non-Voting Members Present:     

Mr. Mike Brandon, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)(via teleconference)

Staff Present:

Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Payne called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m.

Introductions

The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the April 5, 2017 Technical Planning Committee Meeting was unanimously approved for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Bollinger and seconded by Mr. Mehner.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the March 1, 2017 Technical Planning Committee Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Ms. Watson.

Communications from the Chairman

There were no communications from the Chairman.

New/Unfinished Business

  • FY 2017 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) Amendment No. 2 – Motion to release for public comment

Mr. Shrimplin indicated that additional language was added on page 7 to further explain the role of KLG Engineering.  On page 13, additional language was added to reflect the Program Activities of the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.  Ms. Voss stated that she had reviewed the latest draft and had no additional comments.  A motion was made by Mr. Christian and seconded by Mr. Mehner to release FY 2017 UPWP Amendment No. 2 for public comment, which passed unanimously.

  • FY 2018 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) – Review of draft

Mr. Shrimplin presented the draft FY 2018 UPWP.  He explained that the funding sources had not been updated at this time.  He stated that he had received funding amounts from IDOT but not from MODOT yet.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan spans over two fiscal years.  He asked Ms. Voss how she would like to see this indicated in the document.  Ms. Voss stated that each UPWP should show what is intended to get accomplished during that fiscal year along with the associated estimated cost.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that there will be one more meeting to review the document before it is released for public comment.  If the committee has any additional projects, then the projects must be presented at the next meeting.  Mr. Shrimplin pointed out that the proposed budget includes the purchase of new software for managing the TIP along with a maintenance contract.  It also includes the purchase of a digital projector for presentations and maps at SEMPO meetings.  Ms. Voss stated that language will need to be added to the UPWP regarding the performance measures required by the FAST Act and MAP-21.  She stated that she could assist in writing the language and developing the time frame.

  • Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan – Discussion

Ms. Green stated that Lochmueller Group has asked SEMPO to form an oversight committee to develop the goals for the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan and guide the planning process.  A discussion was held regarding possible members from the community.  Ms. Green and Mr. Shrimplin will develop a list and contact those on it to see if they are willing to serve on the committee.  Ms. Green will then schedule the committee’s kickoff meeting.

  • FAST Act/MAP-21 Performance Targets – Discussion

Ms. Green indicated that she has been and will continue to participate in MoDOT’s monthly conference calls to continue to learn about the upcoming requirements for setting performance targets.

  • Missouri MPO Manual – Discussion

Mr. Shrimplin stated that he and Ms. Green met with representatives of other Missouri MPO’s on the day of MoDOT’s Statewide Planning Partner Meeting to discuss the creation of a Missouri MPO Manual.  He distributed a copy of a letter submitted by these MPO’s to Ben Reeser with MoDOT informing him of their intent to begin work on the manual.

Member Reports

Mr. McElroy reported that the contractor is currently working on the north section and east side of Main Street as part of the Downtown Sidewalk Improvements Project.  Also, the City of Cape Girardeau’s Independence Street/Gordonville Road/East Rodney Drive Roundabout Project will be closed out on May 2, 2017.  There is also a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for Jim Drury Way next week.  Finally, the contractor on the Veterans Memorial Drive Phase 5 Project is behind schedule. Mr. Payne mentioned that there have been several online comments regarding the rough driving surface in the work zone on the Bloomfield Road Phase 5 Project.  Mr. Payne suggested better contract language for future projects, if indeed the complaints are legitimate.  Mr. McElroy stated he would look into this.

Mr. Bollinger indicated that the Jackson Civic Center is available for the next SEMPO Board of Directors meeting.  He reported that the City of Jackson’s Williams Creek/Hubble Creek Trail Project has been designed and the City is beginning the acquisition phase of the project.  Lochmueller Group, the City’s traffic engineering consultant, has recommended traffic signals at two intersections as part of the TEAP project.  Mr. Bollinger will send the future traffic signal project information to Mr. Shrimplin for SEMPO’s files.  The City’s Board of Aldermen will be releasing a survey asking for citizen input regarding their opinions of City services, quality of infrastructure, and additional needs.

Ms. Watson stated that the CTA is beginning to receive new vehicles.

Mr. Christian stated that the RPC is conducting a fixed bus route feasibility study and the initial route study.  The development of the Perryville Greenway Master Plan is proceeding.  The SEMO RPC TAC meeting will be held next week.

Ms. Killian stated that MoDOT’s draft 2018-2022 STIP is in review.  He will send it to Mr. Christian.  MoDOT is now requiring that bridge inspections be included in the TIP.  Mr. Killian will send this information to Mr. Christian as well.  The new Missouri highway map will be released next month.  Due to the deadline for finalizing the map, the MO-34/MO-72 route change will not be included.

Mr. Brandon stated that MoDOT’s draft 2018-2022 STIP will be released for public comment in May.  At this time, MO-D is listed as a construction project and MO-PP is listed as a scoping project.  Additionally, Mr. Brandon stated that there will be a call for projects for the Cost Share Program, likely in May.

Ms. Voss stated that MoDOT has not received authorization from the Governor’s office to approve TIP amendments on the Governor’s behalf.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that he will submit FY 2016-2019 TIP Amendment No. 3 to Ms. Voss for approval.

Other Business and Communications

There were no other business and communications.

Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 11:44 a.m.