TPC Minutes 05/03/17

Download .pdf version

TECHNICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

May 3, 2017

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau

Technical Planning Committee Voting Members Present:

Ms. Elquin Auala, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Commission

(SEMO RPC)

Mr. Curtis Jones, Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Alex McElroy, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. John Mehner, Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET

Mr. Tom Mogelnicki, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Mr. Larry Payne, Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee

Mr. Scott Perry, Bootheel Regional Planning & Economic Development

Commission (Bootheel RPC) (appointed alternate for David Blalock)

Technical Planning Committee Non-Voting Members Present:

Mr. Mike Brandon, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Betsy Tracy, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (via teleconference)

Ms. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) (via teleconference)

Staff Present:

Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Payne called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m.

Introductions

There were no introductions.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the May 3, 2017 Technical Planning Committee Meeting was unanimously approved for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Mogelnicki and seconded by Mr. Perry.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the April 5, 2017 Technical Planning Committee Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Bollinger and seconded by Mr. Christian.

Communications from the Chairman

There were no communications from the Chairman.

New/Unfinished Business

  • FY 2017 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) Amendment No. 2 – Motion to recommend approval

Mr. Shrimplin stated that the amendment was released for public comment in accordance with the Public Participation Plan, and no comments were received.  FY 2017 UPWP Amendment No. 2 was unanimously recommended for approval upon motion made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Mr. Christian.

  • FY 2018 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) – Motion to release for public comment

Mr. Shrimplin presented the FY 2018 UPWP.  He explained that this UPWP is similar to the amended FY 2017 UPWP, but there are several additions.  A paragraph discussing MAP-21 and FAST Act has been added to the introduction.  The work elements section has been expanded to include new activities, including TIP Tool Software and Maintenance, Public Transit – Human Services Transportation Coordination Plan, Title VI Program, and Critical Rural and Urban Freight Corridors.  Ryan stated that he will need assistance with the language on the Critical Rural and Urban Freight Corridors section.  Ms. Voss agreed to contact Cheryl Ball with MoDOT for assistance with the language.

Mr. Mogelnicki asked about the procurement process for the new TIP tool software and maintenance.  Mr. Shrimplin explained that staff would follow a process similar to the one used by Ozarks Transportation Organization (OTO), which involved issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) and selecting a vendor based on a standardized scoring system.  Staff will work with Ms. Voss and Ms. Tracy to ensure that all of the procurement requirements are met.

Ms. Tracy stated that she had submitted several comments on the UPWP.  Mr. Shrimplin then reviewed and addressed each of the comments.

There being no further discussion, FY 2018 UPWP was unanimously released for public comment upon motion made by Mr. Christian and seconded by Mr. Mehner.

  • Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan – Discussion

Ms. Green reported that the Study Oversight Team had its initial meeting with Lochmueller Group.   She stated that the members discussed concerns and issues in their respective areas.  Lochmueller Group will now take this information and begin drafting a vision statement and goals.  Ms. Auala asked if the plan will include transition plans.  Ms. Green replied that she did not know, but would ask Lochmueller.  Mr. Killian agreed to send Ms. Green and Mr. Shrimplin information regarding the federal requirements for transition plans.  Ms. Tracy stated that in Illinois, many of the MPO’s complete a sidewalk analysis.  Mr. Bollinger stated that many communities do not have the resources to complete the federal transition plan requirements.

Member Reports

Mr. McElroy reported that the Bloomfield Road and Veterans Memorial Drive projects are continuing.  There will be an opening ceremony this weekend for the Downtown Sidewalk project.  Due to the recent flooding, many downtown buildings have water in their basements.

Mr. Bollinger indicated that the MoDOT Sidewalk Project on East Jackson Boulevard is roughly 50% completed.  The City will be advertising for bids soon for concrete replacement, asphalt overlaying, and joint sealing.  The City’s traffic study is underway.  The City is currently looking into project opportunities for the MoDOT Cost Share Program.

Mr. Mogelnicki stated that the CTA now accepts credit and debit cards for demand response vehicles only.

Mr. Mehner stated that there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at the SportsPlex, and the nearby section of Veterans Memorial Drive is now open.

Mr. Brandon stated that MoDOT’s guardrail and guard cable contract, concrete and asphalt contract, and the Scott City Interchange Project are all being advertised for bids this week.  Mr. Brandon provided a flood update for the Southeast District.  The draft 2018-2022 STIP will be released for public comment today.  MoDOT has also issued a Call for Projects for the Cost Share Program.

Mr. Killian stated that I-55 in St. Louis will be closing today due to flooding.  The Chester Bridge will likely be closed tomorrow.

Mr. Jones stated that Ms. Holly Ostdick has been promoted to Bureau Chief.

Other Business and Communications

There were no other business and communications.

Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 11:55 a.m.