TPC Minutes 12/03/2014

TECHNICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
December 3, 2014   Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau

Download TPC Minutes 12/03/2014 PDF

Technical Planning Committee Members Present:
Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson
Mr. Mike Brandon, Missouri Department of Transportation
Ms. Mandi Brink, Southeast Missouri Regional Port Authority (SEMO Port)
Mr. Tom Caldwell, Illinois Department of Transportation
Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Development Commission (SEMO RPC)
Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation
Mr. Mike Latuszek, Federal Highway Administration (via conference call)
Mr. Bruce Loy, City of Cape Girardeau
Mr. Larry Payne, Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee
Mr. Mark Phillips, Cape Special Road District
Mrs. Betsy Tracy, Federal Highway Administration (via conference call)
Mrs. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (via conference call)
Mrs. Kelley Watson, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority
Staff Present:
Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau
Call to Order
Chairman Bollinger called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m.
Introductions
The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.
Public Comments
There were no public comments.
Adoption of Agenda
The agenda of the December 3, 2014 Technical Planning Committee Meeting was unanimously approved for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Payne and seconded by Mr. Phillips.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the November 5, 2014 Technical Planning Committee Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Phillips and seconded by Mr. Payne.
Southeast Metropolitan Planning Organization
Communications from the Chairman
There were no communications from the Chairman.
New/Unfinished Business
Mr. Shrimplin gave a recap of the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) information sessions that were held on November 19, 2014. He indicated that attendance at the sessions was low. Those that did attend, however, were very engaged in discussions about transportation values and priorities. Specifically, two representatives of the Velo Girardeau bicycle club advocated for better integration of motorized and non-motorized vehicular traffic on roads. State Representative Donna Lichtenegger expressed her desire to see one-lane bridges widened or replaced.
Mr. Christian stated that Mr. Duke with the Bootheel Regional Planning Commission now believes he can make the travel demand model work. Mr. Duke has the nodes, links, and routes finalized; he is in the process of getting the centroid and attribute data set up. He is also identifying features of intersections. Once everything is set up, he can run the model using different scenarios. Mr. Christian added that the TPC will need to determine which scenarios to use and what assumptions to make. Mr. Killian asked if Mr. Duke’s services will be handled as a subcontract with the SEMO RPC. Mr. Christian stated that he believes the services could be provided as part of an intergovernmental agreement between the Bootheel Regional Planning Commission and the City of Cape Girardeau since the City is a member of the Bootheel RPC. Mr. Shrimplin stated that he and Mr. Christian will coordinate with Mr. Duke on preparing the agreement and getting it executed. Mrs. Voss requested a draft of the agreement to review prior to moving forward with execution.
Mr. Christian stated that SEMO RPC is currently working on gathering data as well as existing plans that have been adopted by the cites of Cape Girardeau, Jackson, and other entities. The data and plans will be used in developing the MTP. He mentioned that the TPC will need to determine the date(s) for the public visioning and goal setting session(s) for the MTP.
Mr. Killian explained that the MoDOT Southeast District is preparing to develop the next STIP, and is requesting that SEMPO and the RPC’s each submit their lists of maintenance and project needs for both road & bridge and multi-modal facilities. He suggested providing three needs for each list. Mr. Latuszek stated that it would be unorthodox for the TPC to provide SEMPO’s lists to MoDOT without Board approval. Mr. Shrimplin stated that the Board had decided to not schedule a meeting for December, but staff would look into the matter. Mr. Killian agreed to check with the District Design Engineer to see if MoDOT could wait until the Board approves the lists at its next regularly scheduled meeting (January 21, 2015).
After discussion, the TPC identified and prioritized needs for four lists (Maintenance Needs – Road & Bridge, Maintenance Needs – Multi-Modal, Project Needs – Road & Bridge, and Project Needs – Multi-Modal). Mr. Payne made a motion to recommend approval of the lists to the Board. Mr. Christian seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Other Communications
Mr. Shrimplin reported that staff has received comments from MoDOT’s consultant regarding the Title VI Program. Staff will work with Mr. Christian to address the comments.
Southeast Metropolitan Planning Organization
Mr. Shrimplin stated that the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Application Selection Committee will review the applications on December 15, 2014.
Adjournment
Upon motion made by Mr. Payne and seconded by Mr. Phillips, the Committee unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 12:45 p.m.