TPC Minutes 06/07/2017

Download .pdf version

TECHNICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

June 7, 2017

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau

Technical Planning Committee Voting Members Present: 

Mr. David Blalock, Bootheel Regional Planning & Economic Development

Commission (Bootheel RPC)

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Commission

(SEMO RPC) (via teleconference)

Mr. Cary Harbison, Southeast Missouri Regional Port Authority (SEMO Port) (alternate

for Mandi Brink)

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Alex McElroy, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. John Mehner, Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET

Mr. Larry Payne, Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee

Mr. Kirk Sandfort, Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO University) (alternate for

Beth Glaus)

Ms. Kelley Watson, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Technical Planning Committee Non-Voting Members Present:  

Ms. Elquin Auala, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Curtis Jones, Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)

Mr. Brian Okenfuss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Betsy Tracy, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (via teleconference)

Ms. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) (via teleconference)

Staff Present:

Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Payne called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m.

Introductions

The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the June 7, 2017 Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Meeting was unanimously approved for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Ms. Watson.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the May 3, 2017 Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Bollinger and seconded by Mr. Mehner.

Communications from the Chairman

Chairman Payne announced that he is retiring and that this is his last meeting as a member of the Technical Planning Committee.

New/Unfinished Business

  • IDOT LRTP Presentation

Mr. Jones gave a presentation on IDOT’s 2017 Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP).  He explained that IDOT is in the process of meeting with stakeholders to discuss the plan development process.  Stakeholder workshops will be held in Chicago, Springfield, and Metro East during the month of July.  Draft chapters will be made available for public comment in August.  Appropriate revisions will be made to the plan based on public comments.  The final plan will be released in December.  Updates regarding the IDOT LRTP development can be found at goo.gl/5DlTzf.

  • FY 2018 UPWP – Motion to recommend adoption

Mr. Shrimplin presented the FY 2018 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) and stated that no comments were received during the public comment period.  There being no further discussion, FY 2018 UPWP was unanimously recommended for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Mr. Bollinger.

  • FY 2016-2019 TIP Amendment No. 4 – Discussion

Mr. Christian presented the FY 2016-2019 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Amendment No. 4.  He stated that the amendment adds the projects listed in MoDOT’s 2018-2022 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).  Mr. Killian explained that this will be the first time MoDOT has projects in the TIP that extend beyond the TIP timeline.  He will check with other MoDOT staff to see how this should be handled.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that TIP Amendment No. 4 has been submitted to Ms. Voss for MoDOT and ONE DOT review in accordance with the Partnership Agreement.  The TPC will release it for public comment at its next meeting.

Ms. Auala asked if the $1 million change order for the South Sprigg Street Bridge Project should be addressed in the TIP and/or the STIP considering it is such a large change order.  Mr. Killian stated that he will look into the matter and report back to the TPC.

Mr. Bollinger asked for clarification of the location of the project named “Outer Road Pavement Improvements.”  Mr. Killian stated that this project is the outer road from the Interstate 55/Fruitland interchange to State Highway F.

  • Election of Officers for FY 2018

The TPC held its annual election of officers.  Mr. Bollinger was elected Chairperson and Mr. McElroy was elected Vice Chairperson, with both terms beginning on July 1, 2017.

Member Reports

Mr. McElroy reported that the City of Cape Girardeau’s Veterans Memorial Drive Phase 5 Project is progressing, and the pavement may be completed this week.  Also, there was a water main break on Main Street where the main intersects a stormwater tunnel.  Crews and staff are currently working on a solution. The Lexington Avenue Improvements Project has been advertised for bids.  The Asphalt Overlay Program will begin soon.  He also explained that the change orders for the South Sprigg Street Bridge Project were due to additional sinkholes that were discovered.

Mr. Bollinger indicated that the City of Jackson’s water system improvements are nearing completion, as are the Uptown historic lighting project and the sidewalk improvements on East Jackson Boulevard.  In addition, the City’s comprehensive traffic study is underway.  He also stated that the City intends to submit an application for MoDOT’s Cost Share Program for the East Jackson Boulevard Roadway Lighting Project.  Mr. Okenfuss explained that the MoDOT Southeast District cannot support the application because the project does not appear to meet the warrants for continuous lighting.  He explained that the Southeast District did support the project when it was submitted for the Missouri Moves Cost Share Program in 2016, but the funding source and criteria for that program were different.  Mr. Bollinger also announced that the City is advertising job openings for the Engineer and City Clerk positions.

Mr. Mehner stated that Ms. Diane Ullmer is Scott City’s Acting City Administrator, and asked that she be added to the SEMPO contact list.  He will send her contact information to Mr. Shrimplin.

Ms. Watson stated that the CTA will be receiving additional buses.  Also, the CTA is in the process of preparing grant applications for the next fiscal year.

Mr. Harbison stated that the SEMO Port recently advertised for bids for a 900 s.f. building addition.  Few bids were received, however, so the Port may have to re-advertise later in the year.  Mr. Harbison also stated that the Port is pursuing federal funding for the Loop Tracks Terminal Project, whether it be a TIGER grant or another source.  He requested that SEMPO provide a resolution and letter of support at this time so the Port will have the necessary documentation ready in the event an opportunity arises.  There being no further discussion, a motion was made by Mr. Bollinger and seconded by Mr. Mehner to recommend that the Board of Directors approve a resolution and letter of support for the Loop Tracks Terminal Project, which passed unanimously.

Mr. Mehner stated that the Essential Air Service bid process is underway.  More information is forthcoming.

Mr. Okenfuss asked what arrangements are being made for mass public viewing of the total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017.  MoDOT Southeast District staff is in the process of planning for the surge in traffic that will occur in the days leading up to the event.  Mr. Mehner stated that information on the eclipse events is available online at www.eclipse.semo.edu.  Events will be held at the Cape Girardeau SportsPlex as well as Houck Field and the River Campus.

Mr. Killian stated that MoDOT’s 2018-2022 STIP should be approved next month.  He also stated that he and Mr. Mike Brandon will be meeting with staff from SEMPO and the Southeast District RPC’s on June 14, 2017 to discuss the STIP development process.

Ms. Voss reported that MoDOT has hired Burns & McDonnell for an update to its LRTP.  Also, MoDOT sent an organizational evaluation survey link to its planning partners.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that SEMPO staff has already completed the survey.

Ms. Tracy stated she is continuing to work closely with Ms. Karen Miller at MoDOT on performance measures.

Other Business and Communications

Ms. Green reported that the Study Oversight Team for the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan will meet on June 15, 2017 to finalize the details for the upcoming community workshops.  The workshops will be held on June 21, 2017 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the Osage Centre in Cape Girardeau and from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at the Jackson Civic Center in Jackson.

Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 11:48 a.m.