TPC Minutes 09/06/2017

Download .pdf version

TECHNICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

September 6, 2017

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau

Technical Planning Committee Voting Members Present:       

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Alex McElroy, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. John Mehner, Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET

Mr. Larry Payne, Cape Girardeau County (alternate for Mr. Charlie Herbst)

Mr. Scott Perry, Bootheel Regional Planning & Economic Development

Commission (Bootheel RPC) (alternate for Mr. David Blalock)

Ms. Kelley Watson, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Technical Planning Committee Non-Voting Members Present:    

Ms. Elquin Auala, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Brian Okenfuss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Melanie Rickard-Elmore, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Betsy Tracy, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (via teleconference)

Ms. Eva Voss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) (via teleconference)

Staff Present:

Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Bollinger called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m.

Introductions

The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the September 6, 2017 Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Meeting was unanimously approved for adoption upon motion made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Mr. Payne.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the August 2, 2017 Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Payne and seconded by Mr. Mehner.

Communications from the Chairman

There were no communications from the Chairman.

New/Unfinished Business

  • FY 2016-2019 TIP Amendment No. 5 – Discussion

Mr. Christian presented Amendment No. 5 to the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP Amendment No. 5).  He explained that MoDOT has moved the MO-177 project from scoping to construction, thereby increasing the project’s total programmed amount by more than 15% and more than $2 million.  In response to a question, Mr. Killian agreed to provide a map showing the project limits in relation to the SEMPO boundary.  Mr. Shrimplin stated that TIP Amendment No. 5 will now be reviewed by MoDOT and ONE DOT, and the TPC will release it for public comment at its next meeting.

Mr. Killian informed the group that TIP Amendment No. 4 was approved by MoDOT and ONE DOT.

Mr. Shrimplin informed the group that the first two administrative modifications to the TIP, TIP Administrative Modification A and TIP Administrative Modification B, were recently completed.  He explained that per the Public Participation Plan (PPP), administrative modifications do not require approval by the SEMPO Board of Directors, MoDOT, or ONE DOT.  Both administrative modifications are for change orders to the South Sprigg Street Bridge project.

  • MoDOT STIP 2019-2023 – Identification and prioritization of projects/needs; motion to recommend approval

The TPC continued its review of the projects and needs list for the next STIP using MoDOT’s Tracker tool to view accident and pavement condition data.  The projects and needs in the capacity and safety sub-lists were then ranked by consensus.  There being no further discussion, a motion was made by Mr. Mehner and seconded by Mr. McElroy to recommend approval of the MoDOT STIP 2019-2023 Project/Needs List, which passed unanimously.

Member Reports

Mr. McElroy reported that the trail section of the City of Cape Girardeau’s Bloomfield Road Phase V project is underway.  Also, a preconstruction conference will be held tomorrow for the Lexington Avenue Improvements project.

Mr. Bollinger reported that the Uptown Jackson Historic Lighting and Event Power project is 100% complete.  The Uptown Jackson Octoberfest will be held on October 7, 2017.  The second group of the water bond projects is 25% complete.  Fronabarger Concreters began concrete repair work two weeks ago.  The Comprehensive Traffic Study is underway.  The City is also obtaining easements for the Hubble Creek project.  The City will be holding a ribbon cutting ceremony soon for the disc golf course in Litz Park.  There will be an announcement tomorrow regarding Uptown Jackson Revitalization Organization receiving assistance from the National Main Street Center and Missouri Main Street Connection.

Ms. Watson reported that CTA is in process of placing new vehicles in service.

Mr. Perry reported that Bootheel RPC’s Transit Plan and Solid Waste Plan are underway.

Ms. Betsy stated that USDOT has announced the availability of $500 million in funding through the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) program. The application deadline is October 16, 2017. More information is available at www.transportation.gov/TIGER.

Ms. Voss discussed MoDOT’s Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) update process.  Mr. Killian handed out a flyer with information pertaining to the update.  Ms. Voss encouraged stakeholders to take the online survey.

Ms. Auala stated that the application deadline for the 2018 Traffic Engineering Assistance Program (TEAP) is September 14, 2017.  The grant requires a 20% match.

Mr. Okenfuss reported that the MoDOT sidewalk project along Jackson Boulevard is complete and the Scott City Interchange project is underway.  Rte PP over I-55 is closed.  US-61 south of Rte KK is closed due to a bridge replacement project.

Mr. Killian discussed MoDOT’s Cost Share Program.  He stated that there are three rounds per year.  MoDOT’s Southeast District is allowed to submit up to two (2) projects in each round.  The next two deadlines are October 6, 2017 and December 29, 2017.

Staff Report

Mr. Shrimplin reported that he is preparing a draft Request for Proposals (RFP) for the TIP tool software and maintenance.  The Technology Subcommittee will review the draft and make any necessary edits, after which it will be submitted to Ms. Tracy and Ms. Voss for review and discussion.

Ms. Green reported that Lochmueller Group has completed analysis of the input received from the survey and Wikimap tool for the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.  Lochmueller Group is now preparing a draft of the plan showing the proposed routes for sidewalks, trails, and bicycle facilities.  Upon completion of the draft, a conference call will be scheduled with the Study Oversight Team (SOT).

Other Business and Communications

There were no other business and communications.

Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 12:04 p.m.