Latest Updates

Jul 14, 2017

Board Minutes 03/15/2017

Download .pdf version



March 15, 2017

Osage Centre – Cape Girardeau, MO

Board Voting Members Present:

Mr. Chauncy Buchheit, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Development

Commission (SEMO RPC)

Ms. Beth Glaus, Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) (Appointed Alternate for Kathy Mangels)

Mr. Scott Meyer, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. Harry Rediger, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. Jim Roach, City of Jackson

Technical Planning Committee (TPC) Members Present:  

Mr. Rodney Bollinger, City of Jackson

Mr. Drew Christian, Southeast Missouri Regional Planning & Economic Development Commission (SEMO RPC)

Mr. Curtis Jones, Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)

Mr. Joe Killian, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Mr. Brian Okenfuss, Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)

Ms. Kelley Watson, Cape Girardeau County Transit Authority (CTA)

Staff Present:

Mr. Alex McElroy, City of Cape Girardeau

Mr. Ryan Shrimplin, City of Cape Girardeau

Program Administration/Support Consultant Present:

Ms. Kelly Green, KLG Engineering

Call to Order

Chairman Buchheit called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.


The group went around the room, with each person giving a brief introduction.

Public Comments

There were no public comments.

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda of the March 15, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting was unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Rediger and seconded by Mr. Roach.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the February 13, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting were unanimously approved upon motion made by Mr. Roach and seconded by Mr. Rediger.

Communications from the Chairman

There were no communications from the Chairman.

New/Unfinished Business

  • RESOLUTION NO. 2017-01, a Resolution approving Amendment No. 3 to the FY 2016-2019 Transportation Improvement Program

Mr. Christian stated that the amendment adds the City of Cape Girardeau’s Independence Street Sidewalk – Gordonville Road/East Rodney Drive to Cape LaCroix Trail Project to the TIP.  Mr. Shrimplin indicated that no comments were received during the public comment period.  Mr. Rediger stated that this is a good project for the City of Cape Girardeau.  A motion was made by Mr. Roach and seconded by Mr. Meyer to approve RESOLUTION NO. 2017-01, which passed unanimously.

  • MoDOT Statewide Planning Partner Meeting

Chairman Buchheit discussed the Planning Partner Meeting that was held in Jefferson City, MO on March 9, 2017.  He stated that MoDOT’s Director, Patrick McKenna, had discussed that in many cases it is cheaper for the State to finance a transportation project as opposed to financing through a P3 scenario.  Mr. Okenfuss stated that MoDOT has the first three years of the five year STIP programmed.  Ms.  Green stated that Director McKenna had indicated that of President Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan, $200-$300 billion of that is currently being planned for transportation.  He also indicated that Missouri is working to contribute to the development of the plan.

  • Staff Report on Financial Statement

Ms. Green presented two documents pertaining to SEMPO’s finances.  The first document was the FY 2016 Budget Summary and Actual Expenditures, showing expenditures compared to budgeted amounts.  The second document was a table showing all expenses and revenues from FY 2014 to date.   Ms. Green stated she will continue to refine these documents and keep them current.

  • Staff Report on SEMPO Document Compliance Matrix

Ms. Green presented a draft calendar of SEMPO activities by month.   She explained that the calendar was developed in response to a request by a member of the TPC.  The intent of this document is to help keep SEMPO in compliance with the federal requirements, including deadlines for plans and programs.

Other Staff Business 

Mr. Shrimplin stated that staff has been working with the TPC on Amendment No. 2 to the FY 2017 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP).  The amendment revises the budget and work elements to reflect the tasks assigned to the three consultants: KLG Engineering, the SEMO RPC, and Lochmueller Group.  The TPC will release the amendment for public comment at its April 5, 2017 meeting.

Member Reports

Mr. Rediger reported that the City of Cape Girardeau’s Main Street Improvement Project is proceeding ahead of schedule.  At this point, the contractor intends to complete the project by May or June.  Veterans Memorial Drive Phase 5 project is still underway.  The Sportsplex is on track to open in May.  Veterans Memorial Drive Phase 3 and Jim Drury Way are slated to open in May as well.  The Neighborhood Street Repair Program contract has been awarded to Nip Kelley and they intend to begin on Ashland Court.

Mr. Roach reported that Jackson Mayor Dwain Hahs has initiated a beautification project.  The project will allow for flowers and other plantings to be planted and maintained along right-of-ways.  Bid solicitation for the Neighborhood Streets project will take place within a month.  The City will open bids next week for the Uptown Lighting Project within the Historic District.

Ms. Watson mentioned the CTA will begin receiving replacement vehicles over the next three months.  In addition, CTA is working with the City of Cape Girardeau to establish an additional route downtown.  CTA may need for SEMPO to create an addendum to the existing MOU and Public Participation Plan (PPP).  Ms. Watson requested a copy of the existing MOU and PPP.  Ms. Green agreed to send the documents to Ms. Watson.  Ms. Watson informed the group that CTA will be revising its Title VI Program.  She asked if it would be acceptable to have the required public meeting for this revised document following the April Board of Directors meeting.  Mr. Shrimplin will provide her with a list of organizations that SEMPO typically notifies for public outreach.  Finally, Ms. Watson asked if the City of Cape Girardeau could help with updating the City Bus Map.  Mr. McElroy stated that the City’s GIS staff could assist with the update.

Ms. Glaus reported that SEMO will be going tobacco free.  The smoking areas will be removed from campus.  Because of this, there may be some new trends with people congregating on sidewalks.  SEMO is considering how this may affect littering and as a result intends to develop an overall trash management plan.

Mr. Buchheit indicated that the recent tornado in the Perryville area was a confirmed F4.  SEMO RPC has the path of the tornado digitized in GIS.

Mr. Okenfuss discussed MoDOT’s most recent financial forecasting method.  The new forecast allows for some flexibility in the STIP.  At this time, however, the federal government has not passed the FAST Act funding as they had indicated they would.  If this trend continues, the forecast will need to be adjusted.  Mr. Okenfuss also discussed the Buckle Up/Phone Down campaign.  MoDOT is encouraging municipalities and other organizations to join the movement by signing up on the website.  The campaign is intended to change habits and encourage organizations to change policies where applicable.

Mr. Killian discussed the annual STIP development cycle.  He stated that the MoDOT Southeast District intends to ask SEMPO and the RPC’s in the district to submit their annual list of needs in August.  Mr. Killian stated that the following projects will likely be added to the STIP:


FY 18 – MO-25 – Pavement improvements, no shoulder work
FY 18 – MO-D – Addition of shoulders
FY 18 – MO-PP – Addition of shoulders
FY 18 – I-55 – Overlay from Exit 93 to Benton


MO-177 – Drainage
I-55 Exit 93 – Redesign
US-61 – From I-55 to MO-25 through Jackson, including intersection improvements @ Donna Drive
I-55/US-61 Underpass at Center Junction – Pavement improvements

Mr. Killian stated that with these STIP changes, the TIP will need to be modified as well.

Mr. Jones stated that IDOT is rolling out some Economic Development opportunities.  He will send information out pertaining to this.

Other Business and Communications

There were no other business and communications.


There being no further business, the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 3:09 p.m.